Questions to Ask Before Renting Office Space in Atlanta
If you’ve made the leap and have started your own business you may be asking the same question as many startups: is it time to rent office space?
Most freelancers, entrepreneurs and startups launch their businesses from home. However, working from home can be a challenge if you have children or pets. Depending on the industry, operating your business from home, can also be difficult to convey to clients that you are a serious businessperson.
And yet, while you may be beyond a home office, you may not be ready for a large, permanent footprint with dedicated commercial office space.
Here are some tips on finding office space in Atlanta:
Common Questions About Renting Office Space in Atlanta
Many landlords require you to sign a long term lease. This gives your new business less flexibility. A month-to-month lease allows you to relocate to a bigger space when you are ready or downsize as needed.
Other questions you should ask before renting office space in Atlanta are:
- Is the rent charged by flat rate or by the square foot?
- Is there a security deposit?
- What would cause me to lose my security deposit?
- When and how do I get my security deposit back?
- Is there an annual rent increase and if so, what is the average increase size?
- How much notice do I have to give before I vacate the space?
- Is the rent prorated and/or refunded if I vacate early?
Common Areas and Building Amenities
You’ll be paying rent for the space you occupy, but every office building has common areas used by all tenants. Common areas include the lobby, elevators, hallways, bathrooms, and kitchens. There are also items like landscaping, window washing, snow removal and parking areas that require maintenance.
Additionally, be mindful of utilities like electricity, water, trash removal and wi-fi internet access. Typically, the building owner pays for utilities and maintenance, along with taxes and insurance for the whole property and then divides the costs among tenants.
Before you rent office space you should ask:
- Are utilities and common areas included in the rent?
- Are there separate charges for maintenance or fees for parking areas?
Warehouse Space and Storage
Flexible office space is a great place to start your business. Depending on your type of business, you may want to consider renting an office that also includes warehouse space.
This arrangement works especially well for e-commerce startups that need a place for their product. Having warehouse space attached to your office makes it easy to access your merchandise and fulfill customer orders faster.
Other questions you may want to ask before renting office space include:
- Is there adequate security to protect my merchandise?
- Can I get in after regular business hours?
Get ready to take your company to the next level from your new Atlanta office space. Use these tips to save time and money as you win the hearts of customers and rocket past the competition.